Jennifer's Books

This blog is a weblog by Jennifer about books she's read, favorite books, books she wants to read. Anything book related! Don't forget to check out "The Last Movie I Saw" on the right hand side.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Snowflower and the Secret Fan

by Lisa See

This book was chosen by my book club in Utah. I had heard good things about it so I thought I would get a copy to read.

The story is told about two women who were matched at age 7 and are to be friends through their entire life. Since they are matched they do not have any other close friends, or sworn sisters. After they separate in marriage and go to different villages they communicate more using the fan with their secret language. Being a woman I found it to be so true of women friendships at any time, we all chronicle our lives through events and family.

The book is very well written and an eye opener to the classic Chinese culture of the 1600s. The story is told by an 80 year old woman named Lily about her childhood and years with her old same, Snowflower (or what I interpret as matched best friends). During her life she talks about all the traditions that women uphold to make themselves more valuable in life, the most value being from having sons and helping her husband to carry on his family line. Lily and her friend Snowflower encounter a lot during the years. Throughout time they send messages back and forth about their life on a fan using a secret language that women know called nu shu. Women are not taught to read and write except for nu shu, they mostly learn embroidery, cooking, sewing, and only what they need to be a good wife and daughter in law.

I found the book easy to read and again very enlightening about the chinese culture and how women are valued or not valued during their lives. As I am sure it is like today, in the 21st century and all cultures, most women take great solace in knowing your friends or sisters are there for you in your time of need. A great read!

5 of 5 rating

2 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    Hey Jennifer,

    Great review! This is a favorite book of mine. I read it with my book club a few years ago and loved it. I liked the themes related to female friendship as well. I was fascinated with foot binding after reading this book!

    Keep up doing the reviews and posting on other blogs and you'll get more traffic here.

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Vickie said…

    Jennifer: You've got the review gig down just fine. Good review, chickie!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home